Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cassidy vs. the City: the Almighty Thin Complex

The almighty thin complex. What is it? Well, what do you picture when someone say’s “supermodel?” Generally it’s a thin and tall beautiful woman (key word there, THIN.) Models who are in runway divisions or high fashion (in Wilhelmina these are called image or select) have the typical measurements of 23’ at the waist, a 32 bust, and a 34-35 inch hip. The height can be anywhere from 5’9 to 5’11.  Now, these girls are gorgeous don’t get me wrong, but they are intimidating. Walking into my agency, the walk around and look like goddesses! Then there’s me, 5’8.5 and a dress size of 10. I have curves and boobs and a butt and hips! How do I even compare to them when I look so different? This has been my thinking for the past week. I realized something though; even seemingly perfect models have insecurities, just like me and every other woman. I watch my roommates poke and prod at themselves every day worrying if they are gaining weight. It makes me sick thinking that they could not get any work for gaining a few pounds, even though I’m in awe of their beauty! I learned to appreciate that I can enjoy life, and eat wonderful food and not feel like crap about myself. I can be healthy and happy, while I do my dream career. I went to a dinner for our Curve Division. It was amazing, the women were all different shapes and sizes, but they all had this glowing inner beauty. I thought “that is a real woman.” I don’t have to be a size 2 to feel beautiful, look at how amazing they are. I was so inspired to really start living my life and loving myself.

On another note, it is not easy being here. Work will not come right away, you really have to get a lot of “no’s” before you get your first “yes!” I haven’t gotten my yes yet, but I know it’s coming and I know my hard work will pay off.. If you come to New York thinking you’ll make it right away, it probably won’t happen. Plan on working really hard to get your first break, it will take time but it’s worth it! Don’t give up your dreams, I’ve doubted myself all week but I know now that I can do it if I stick it out.

And lastly, heed my warning. I love making new friends. I’ve made great ones in the past week, but most of them are much older, which is great I can learn a lot. With their age comes the ability to go out at night and have long weekends. I admit I’ve been to a few clubs, it’s a completely different lifestyle and it’s wonderful to have fun and dance with friends but I will not let the idea of glamour and drinking and drugs consume me. At the end of the day, I’m here to make my dreams come true. I won’t jeopardize it with going down the wrong path in life. I agree it’s good to relieve stress and have fun every once and awhile, but don’t overdo it. Stay focused.

Until next time,
Cassidy

Photo by Michael Creagh.

No comments:

Post a Comment