Monday, May 6, 2013

Modeling Tip Of The Day: Do A Little Dance!

Hey Slendees!

Jeneka K. here to bring you a slice of the pop and lockin' model life :) Ever been on a shoot and got stuck trying to figure out your next pose? Or, feel like you're always doing the same poses and need something new to do with your hands or feet? I've experienced this same mental block before and the one thing that always seems to inspire me is MUSIC!

When I hear music I can't help but move. My shoulders sway, my head bobs, I start to bounce a little and before you know it, I feel like I'm one of Beyonce's back up dancers! ;) I probably wouldn't make the cut on So You Think You Can Dance, but I do have a good amount of dance experience. Dancing has really helped me feel more comfortable with movement, extending, stretching and just feeling comfortable in my own skin. Now when I shoot, I think of posing more as dancing! Fluid movements from head to toe.

Fun fact: I danced full-time at the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Walt Disney World for 6 years.

I've discovered that many of my favorite models also have previous dance experience! In a recent cover shoot for Vogue Austraila, Karlie Kloss dished a little about her experience as a ballet dancer. If you're a Karlie fan you know that girl can move!

Click here for a behind the scenes video of Karlie's cover shoot!

The Face's Coco Rocha also has a dance background as an Irish dancer. How cool is that? Fun fact: Coco has been known to do 50 different poses in 30 seconds! Any model out there up for the challenge?? 

Watch this clip of Coco Rocha which includes her Irish dancing down the runway for Jean Paul Gaultier!

So to all you aspiring models out there and even the veterans as well, whether you have dancing experience or not, let music inspire you to move in ways you haven't before! Try taking a dance class at a local dance studio. Or, head to the gym with some friends and try a Zumba or Sh'Bam class! It's a great way to have fun, get in a good workout and loosen yourself up for your next photo shoot.

Karlie Kloss photographed by Mario Testino for Vogue US July 2012

The hand-on-the-hip poses just don't cut it anymore models. In order to get really great shots you have to learn how to MOVE!

Read more about Coco Rocha the Irish dancer turned supermodel


May the fierce be with you!

xoxo*j

No comments:

Post a Comment