Tuesday, June 11, 2013

"Goodwill Goes Glam!"

Aloha Slendees! I am a huge fan of thrift and consignment shopping so when I heard about "Goodwill Goes Glam!" I was immediately intrigued! Goodwill Hawaii has created a four day event that not only celebrates fashion but also highlights all of the great things Goodwill does for the community such as providing skills training, employment counseling, job placement and support services. This year's event will be held at the Neal S. Blaisdell Exhibition Hall September 19th-22nd, 2013. 

The opening night of "Goodwill Goes Glam!" is The Gala Evening, which includes a fashion show styled with clothing and accessories all from Goodwill. I was able to attend the final model casting for the fashion show this past Saturday and met many of the models that will be walking in the show. The models varied in heights and ages but what they all had in common was a love for Goodwill. That love for Goodwill is what Amanda Stevens, producer of the fashion show, looked for when she booked the models.

Randie Lunn & I with a few of the models outside Hawaii Fashion Incubator

I chatted with Amanda prior to the casting and we talked about how models are often referred to as "hangers." I don't know if it bothers you, but we both dislike the term and agreed that models are much more than hangers.

Hangers are for hanging clothes. 
Models bring out the essence of clothes. 

At the casting, Amanda shared this same insight with her models. To avoid feeling like hangers, Amanda encouraged her models to think of one word to portray as they walked the runway. This one word would encompass everything about the outfit the model would be wearing on the runway. I demonstrated my walk first and because I was wearing a long, aloha print dress chose the word "Aloha" to portray. I then worked with each of the models on their walks and shared with them some runway tips and tricks to help prepare them for their show. By the end of our practice inhibitions had melted away and the models had a newfound confidence :)

Amanda's suggestion of picking one word to envision and portray works great! It really focuses you as a model and gives you a purpose on the runway. Try it the next time you're in a fashion show!

2012 Goodwill Goes Glam! "The Elements of Goodwill" Fashion Show

If you will be in Hawaii in September make sure you support this great fashion event! Also, if you are participating in a fashion event with a great cause let me know! I'd love to share about it on the blog :)

May the fierce be with you!

xoxo*j

No comments:

Post a Comment